Dairy Queen

Dairy Queen

Friday, February 1, 2008

John Edwards and $400 Haircuts

I want desperately (in some ways) to believe that John Edwards is really concerned about the lives of America's poorest citizens. There is much in his rhetoric and in his life that points to an authentic concern for people who live in poverty.

Edward's dropped out of the presidential race earlier this week. I hope that Clinton and Obama will keep the stories of the poor as a part of their campaign narratives. There is much that is absurd about the level amount of poverty in America today and America must do better than it has done to create opportunity fir people who live in poverty

At the press conference where John Edward's dropped out of the race he talked about stopping on the way to the press conference to talk with some homeless people . I wonder if the conversation might have gone something like this:

John Edwards: Hey homeless guy. I was running for President so I could speak up for you. I don't want America to forget you live under this bridge.

Homeless Guy: Thanks, I think.

John Edwards: Hey, I'm about to drop out of the race now because I am not getting many votes. Is there anything you want me to tell people for you?

Homeless Guy: No, but I would like to ask you a question?

John Edwards: Ask anything

Homeless Guy: Do you know how many meals I could eat with the $400 you paid to get your hair cut?

2 comments:

blue hat said...

My friend, I love your writing style. Please, more posts like this.

Raene said...

Hah! That's really great.